Service Broker messages not being sent if target rebooted

At a high level, here is what is happening:

  1. We have two SQL Server 2008 R2 SP1 systems (Standard Edition on Windows NT 6.1 (Build 7601: Service Pack 1))
    They are humming along just fine, communicating bi-directionally with no errors or issues.
  2. We reboot system #2, expecting that any Service Broker messages sent to it while it is unavailable will queue up on system #1, until system #2 comes back up.
  3. System #2 comes back up and everything there starts normally with no errors.
  4. The messages that queued up on system #1 for system #2 remain queued up; they are never sent. Furthermore, new messages on that conversation also queue up and are never sent.
  5. Messages sent on new conversations are transmitted just fine.

Details about the messages that are never sent:

  • How can I compare rows from 2 tables that have composite primary keys?
  • How much is the overhead of network traffic when I use SELECT FOR XML to transfer 5000 records
  • How to display Date in DD/MM/YYYY H:MM AM/PM format in SQL Server
  • Get List of Computed Columns in Database Table (SQL Server)
  • Why or How does FREETEXTTABLE give a rank value higher then others
  • Selecting records with “at least one” condition on 1:n foreign key relationship
  • A. While system #2 is down, the transmission_status for the messages in the queue show various errors indicating that it cannot communicate with system #2, as expected.

    B. Shortly after system #2 comes back up, the transmissions_status for those messages goes blank. The blank status never changes after this point.

    C. The conversation where messages stack up is in the CONVERSING/CO state. No columns in the system view indicate anything is any different from other queues that are working fine. (If I could find any flags set differently, I would know to terminate the bad conversation, but the system offers no clues–other than the ever-growing queue depth.)

    D. The messages are never received on system #2, in the sense that my activation stored procedure is never called for these messages.

    E. In Profiler (with all Broker trace types turned on), a good conversation shows these things being logged:

    Broker:Conversation CONVERSING  1 - SEND Message        Initiator                                       
    Broker:Message Classify 2 - Remote  Initiator
    [SQL Batch complete; SQL that caused the SEND to occur]
    Broker:Remote Message Acknowledgement   1 - Message with Acknowledgement Sent   Initiator
    Broker:Message Classify     1 - Local   Initiator
    Broker:Conversation CONVERSING  6 - Received Sequenced Message  Target
    Broker:Remote Message Acknowledgement   3 - Message with Acknowledgement Received       Initiator
    Broker:Activation       Microsoft SQL Server Service Broker Activation  1 - Start

    A message being sent which is destined to get stuck shows only the first two of those events:

    Broker:Conversation CONVERSING  1 - SEND Message    Initiator
    Broker:Message Classify 2 - Remote  Initiator

    As far as I can tell, this is all the farther those messages get. There is no indication that SQL Server tries to transmit them ever again. System #1 thinks the conversation is still good, but System #2 has forgotten it completely. System #1 never seems to figure this out. If we subsequently reboot system #1, then everything is back to normal with all messags flowing as intended.

    I have considered that these messages have actually been sent, but that the acknowledgement is not making it back to system #1. But I don’t see any evidence of backed up queues of acknowledgements.

    We have checked for numerous typical issues on both sides:

    Broker is enabled on both sides.
    2. All queues are on, with all appropriate things enabled (enqueue, receive). Queues are not poisoned.
    3. No permissions issues exist that we know of.
    4. We are not using fire-and-forget.
    5. We are reusing conversations, as various people recommend doing. (In fact, conversation re-use is the problem here!)
    6. We are trapping SQL exceptions, using transactions as instructed, etc.
    7. ssbdiagnose returns no errors.

    When a SQL Server host is rebooted, we expect that any queued up messages will eventually get sent, but they are not. What is going on here??

    One Solution collect form web for “Service Broker messages not being sent if target rebooted”

    I understand this is a quite old thread, but I have combated exactly the same situation before, and in my case the network configuration was the culprit.

    For some reason, the initiator has sent its messages from one IP address, but another IP has been opened to accept incoming replies (and this second IP has been specified in target’s route).

    I have detected this by accident, really. When I tried to end conversation on the target side, it hasn’t closed, but the EndDialog message appeared in sys.transmission_queue with the status:

    Connection attempt failed with error: ‘10060(A connection attempt
    failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a
    period of time, or established connection failed because connected
    host has failed to respond.)’.

    I have no idea why the target restart has triggered the breakdown, but when network engineers have fixed the issue and I changed the target’s route, everything flew to their destinations as it was supposed from the start.

    MS SQL Server is a Microsoft SQL Database product, include sql server standard, sql server management studio, sql server express and so on.